Friday, March 29, 2024

sketch & colors

                               6x8
A tight little waterfall study for a class with SaltyWaterArt. 
Class was canceled so I began looking into what colors to put in my travel palette for Scotland.
I am very undecided on the reds-- they're all so beautiful! Pyrrol scarlet and quinacridone red/coral especially!
Think I must have quinacridone pink.
I have been looking for a cool green and Hooker's, which I haven't had on my palette in a long time, is it.
Also got two new greens, DS green apatite and Schmincke shire green: both granulate and separate into their component colors--which i love...but there may not be room.
Yellow has become a crisis. Since I began painting I have relied on two yellows: aureolin, which I now find out is fugitive, and new gamboge, which is now a mixture rather than a single pigment (not ideal, but I'll probably stick with it). I never felt a need to deviate from those two. 
Everyone seems to be using hansa now, but I'm not keen on it. Will probably go for the weaker, but soft Winsor yellow and the intense Maineri Blu transparent yellow.
And I must have quinacridone gold, Mars yellow (a to me slightly brighter ocher), and maybe Naples or Turner's yellow.
I welcome your thoughts on colors!
Lately I feel displeased with my cobalt, which is Winsor & Newton; it looks a little grayish to me. Which brand's cobalt blue do you like?

2 comments:

Logan said...

I have so many thoughts! :) I love picking colors.

Winsor Yellow is PY154 which is my favorite yellow pigment. Holbein's Imidazolone Yellow and Schmincke's Pure Yellow are stronger versions.

Quin Gold is basically Transparent Yellow (PY150) plus earth orange (e.g. quin burnt orange or transparent red oxide), so if you were going to take one of those colors anyway you could self-mix and save space. But quin gold is very beautiful and convenient.

I don't think there's much problem with New Gamboge being a mix. The component pigments are so close together on the color wheel, it still mixes cleanly. I currently use Hansa Yellow Deep in this slot but it's actually kind of too bright for the rest of my palette so I'm thinking of switching back to New Gamboge.

My favorite cobalt is Da Vinci because it's high-strength, high-chroma and low-granulation, but if you like granulation you might prefer a different one. IIRC Daniel Smith is high-chroma, low-strength, high-granulation but I haven't tried many others. You could also try an ultramarine "green shade" which is a pretty similar color.

You should join my discord if you want to nerd about color! :) https://discord.gg/p3ng4PqE

laura said...

Thank you. Logan, that's great information. I am going to stick with gamboge! And I think I may have some DaVinci paints, so I'll try their cobalt. A more thorough comparison of cobalts, and cerulean, is in my future!