Friday, November 30, 2018

melo & arya

This was coming along pretty well, then I started having trouble with Melo's face ... and the overworking began! I didn't finish; though I may, just for practice.
I will definitely try this one again, hopefully having learned from my mistakes.

Thursday, November 29, 2018


A couple of winters ago, I took some photos of birds in my yard after a snowstorm. They were all overexposed but I liked the quiet wintry mood that caused.
This is my first attempt to paint from one.

Saturday, November 24, 2018

cape may point park

From a photo I took this summer. I liked the dark reflections and the space of light between it and the shore. 
And, below, a little card I painted last year.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

technical difficulties

(a painting done on location this summer)
Having some problems posting this week: posts sent from my phone or tablet keep failing. So, took pictures with my camera to download to laptop, but the laptop's not reading the memory card.
I've exceeded my frustration for the day--and it's only 9:30!--so I'll have to try again another day.
In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving!

Saturday, November 17, 2018


The first, light washes were very pleasing, then I messed up with the darks.
Plan to try it again, I think I can do better.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

lady cardinal

I think I prefer the female cardinal, with her tawny coloring.
My cardinals always look cartoony to me ... haven't been able to figure out why!

Monday, November 12, 2018

value practice

The idea here was to be rigorous in establishing and maintaining values ... I can't seem to do values in color. That will be my next attempt!
I wasn't happy with how thick I let the branches on the tree get, so I added some streaks of white and splatter for snow.

Sunday, November 11, 2018

pine cones

I was just about to post this, and looked at the photo, and realized I should add a few more darks.
I often see what needs fixing only after photographing it.

Saturday, November 10, 2018

rhodo sprig

The plants here are all confused. With the terribly hot summer we had here most of my plants were scorched and near dead, it seemed, but the recent warm weather has apparently encouraged some things to bloom again.

Friday, November 09, 2018

old dpw challenge

Addendum: Sorry, I got my sources mixed up! I saw this exercise, using a DPW photo, from Jo's downloadable Visual Guide to Painting (which is on sale this weekend); ten lessons with links to her videos on YouTube.
You can see Jo's work and lessons on YouTube and on her website.
I came across this old Daily Paintworks challenge on Jo MacKenzie's website. I have long admired the clarity of the values in her paintings, so I decided to give this challenge, which she credits with helping her see values more strongly, a try.
The challenge was to change the color and paint the value. I didn't change the colors (much) because I couldn't decide which colors to use! But I think I will do it again, the way it was meant to be done!

Melo, interrupting my photo-taking. 

Thursday, November 08, 2018

pine cones

Still being a little more careful than I'd like;  but, I think anyway, if I keep at it it, I'll 1) get more confidence and 2) be able to distill the cone to its essentials for representation.

Saturday, November 03, 2018


Trying to paint some apples a la Jo MacKenzie, who is a whiz at seeing values.
If you haven't yet, check out her short videos on youtube.

bluejay re-do

Painted this again, a little larger. I wanted a more high-key background and wanted to, if I could, improve on the branches. Perhaps not surprisingly, I think I prefer the branches in the first version.
But I do like the almost marbled effect the salt created in the background.

Friday, November 02, 2018

backyard birds

Two cold weather tenants: white-throated sparrow and dark-eyed junco.
I like white backgrounds, but I'd like to come up with something else ... something out-of-focus.

Thursday, November 01, 2018

monday class

Trying to get back in the habit of attending class-- tho' it'll be breaking up in a couple of weeks for the winter break.
This week, working on imaginary landscapes, trying to build up from light, loose washes to darker, more descriptive ones.
My problem is I always end up covering up too much of the underlying wash, and I'm never sure where to put the darks!