Tuesday, January 19, 2021

winter tree

8x14

Every winter, I am drawn to the bare trees, the lines. the shadows ... and always say I'll paint them but then I get, idk, intimidated, or maybe it's just laziness.
Finally sat down and made a drawing from a photo I took a while back.
Started painting without much of a plan ... and kept going that way.
I'm saying its finished. And while I like a little passage here and there, overall, to me, it's too heavy handed. Okay, so, next time: leave whites; and either expand or contract color palette.
I think I definitely will trace this (maybe eliminate some lower branches?) and do it again.

1 comment:

RH Carpenter said...

I like it and it has a very nice rhythm to it with the branches coming around the tree. Good colors, too. Definitely use this as your challenge for a while and see how many versions you can do! I, too, love seeing the bare branches but rarely paint trees like that (so much intensity in looking and seeing the right shapes!! ha ha)