Sunday, July 18, 2010

saturday's efforts

(6x6)
Awhile back I bought some Japanese watercolor markers, which I've since supplemented with some colored Tonbow markers ... I made a couple of little sketches with them to try them out, then forgot all about them.
Yesterday I got them out and enjoyed playing around a bit: I feel a little afraid--ridiculous, I know--of the intense color, but, on the other hand, the markers seem to encourage more playfulness.

After being disappointed with the last fishing boat painting I worked on (I haven't posted it, but I will), yesterday I decided to start on this drawing I made last week.
I'm being careful, which is unlike me ... but I think I want to get past some details and major areas being cautious, with the hope that then I'll be able to finish off the sky and water a little more freely.

This is where I stopped last night:
(11x15)

And this is what I did this morning:

Now I'll prop it up where I can see it and think it over before going any further.

In a previous post, I mentioned that I had painted the Brandywine Shoal lighthouse before. Here's one I did a year or two ago ... I had an earlier one, which I gave to a nice young man who was doing some construction work at my house and mentioned to me several times how much he liked it.
(9x12)
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Teresa said...

Your boats painting is coming along fabulously. I really like it.

Ditto on the lighthouse...a really gorgeous piece of work.

Anonymous said...

I find boat painting really difficult so I steer away from them. I admire your tenacity. Drawing well is what makes a good artist - so says my instructor, Jerry Stitt. He is right of course.
Jean

Penny said...

Really like your descriptions of how you are doing your boat paintings.

Barbra Joan said...

Oh how I love your blues!!!
BJ

debwardart said...

Love the colors in this one, and your lighthouse is beautiful.

Autumn Leaves said...

I think your watercolor seascapes are always amongst my top favorites, Laura. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to work watercolors in stages. If I hurry myself, I totally muck up my colors. But I sure would be happy to paint like you when I grow up!

A Brush with Color said...

You are so on a roll with all of these, Laura--really refreshing and beautiful! Wow!

Margaret said...

Love the lighthouse. The white really shines and the colors you selected are perfect.