Sunday, July 11, 2010

angelsea views

(6x9)
Last night, after painting this, I redrew it, with the red house smaller to allow for more space around it, and eliminating the white house.
It was extremely damp and rainy here yesterday and obviously I couldn't wait for the paint to dry.

(6x9)
This one isn't done yet, but I redrew it also, making the house smaller ... I guess I think of these as a set.
I did discover a color combination that I love while painting the smaller building: burnt sienna (Winsor & Newton, in this case) and Holbein's royal blue (PB60), which is a dark, cool, transparent blue like Daniel Smith's indranthone blue.

I've tried many times over the years to keep a notebook or notebooks--one for painting advice, ideas, lists; one for books I want to or have read; but I'm not a creature of habit (probably because I have no schedules!). Consequently I have numerous little books with things jotted on the first few pages that are otherwise empty. Once in a while in a fit of desire for order, I decide to try to consolidate them.
I found this list of painting advice gleaned from various: these I thought were the highlights to keep in mind.

Going fishing today!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Robin@TheNatureCoast said...

Have a great day fishing Laura, these Anglesea views capture the shore atmosphere so well- have me homesick ;)

Margaret said...

I agree these make a lovely set - I love drawing places like this. Just love your work.

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Going fishing sounds like a great way to unwind from proofreading and thinking about destructive squirrels. "Serenity Now."

Autumn Leaves said...

Both of these pieces are just beautiful as they are, Laura. I am especially drawn into that second piece. Love the way you've handled the water and I find myself wishing for a house just like this one!!!

RH Carpenter said...

Good guidelines - we all know them but when we get the brush in our hands, it's hard to stop - the enjoyment of touching pigment to paper is just overwhelming! You do a fine job of knowing when to stop, though.

Anonymous said...

These are both nice - but I just love the second one! Hope you had fun on your fishing trip!

Teresa said...

I've got scattered notes here and there too.... color combinations, techniques, to do's and not-to-do's. Every once in a while I actually pull them out and read them ;-)