Friday, July 02, 2010

inspiration all around us

(6x10)
Sherry contributed this photo for the blog Inspiration All Around Us; this is not the current challenge, but I hope to catch up.
I'm getting more done since I moved a painting table into my bedroom; I'm also getting less sleep--at night anyway, and overlseeping in the morning!


Today
by Billy Collins

If ever there were a spring day so perfect,
so uplifted by a warm intermittent breeze

that it made you want to throw
open all the windows in the house

and unlatch the door to the canary's cage,
indeed, rip the little door from its jamb,

a day when the cool brick paths
and the garden bursting with peonies

seemed so etched in sunlight
that you felt like taking

a hammer to the glass paperweight
on the living room end table,

releasing the inhabitants
from their snow-covered cottage

so they could walk out,
holding hands and squinting

into this larger dome of blue and white,
well, today is just that kind of day.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Diana said...

Beautiful poem Laura, I was just thinking-- it's a perfect day to paint outside. I'm going to do that this afternoon, now to laundry and a long bike ride. Diana--have a great weekend!

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi Laura, thanks for sharing the Create 38 and inspiration all around you info. I will check them out.
Ahhh and your landscapes look effortless and beautiful. The vinyard ( your previous post) is interesting to me with the dark vineyard in the foreground. My eye goes to that but is not limited to it. Rather, I go behind it and enjoy the blue.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

Love the painting and the poem. These poems move me, because there is so little time for poetry, and it is so vital. Your art is vital to this artist's inspiration. Thank you.

Take care,

Barbara

Autumn Leaves said...

What a lovely landscape and sky that could carry one off on dreams and clouds. I love that you've been inspired anew simply by moving your work space!