Sunday, July 04, 2010

"for thee I sing"


One Song, America, Before I Go

ONE song, America, before I go,
I'd sing, o'er all the rest, with trumpet sound,
For thee--the Future.

I'd sow a seed for thee of endless Nationality;
I'd fashion thy Ensemble, including Body and Soul;
I'd show, away ahead, thy real Union, and how it may be accomplish'd.

(The paths to the House I seek to make,
But leave to those to come, the House itself.)

Belief I sing--and Preparation;
As Life and Nature are not great with reference to the Present only,
But greater still from what is yet to come,
Out of that formula for Thee I sing.

-- Walt Whitman


Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Diana said...

Beautiful painting!! I love it. and perfect for today. Diana

truerecord said...

Huzzahs to your constant high school companion. And Hurray and Huzzahs to you too.

Carol Blackburn said...

This is simply beautiful in every way, Laura.

Barbara Muir said...

How beautiful! The painting and the poem. I love it when you post poetry, and Walt Whitman is one of my favorites. I did an English Literature degree. You remind me of my passion for poetry. Happy 4th of July to you, and here's to your great country.

XOBarbara

A Brush with Color said...

Wow, Laura, how fabulous! I love this! Happy 4th of July to you! I just watched the NY fireworks on TV and got teary-eyed. It was beautiful, and touched me. Your paintings are really amazing--I love these! And the poem is moving.

Autumn Leaves said...

Laura, these are truly exquisite! What great folds/drapes you've done in these flag banners. Love the perfect red, white, and blueness of them too!

shl said...

Heart-gladdening in every possible way--and HOPE-inducing as well. TV fireworks seem trivially pale in comparison. This belongs FAR beyond "blogdom," but for the moment, THANK you!

Liana Yarckin said...

what a creative way to paint the 4th of july! absolutely love your creativeness here.

Robin@TheNatureCoast said...

smart & fab as always, ♥ you & yr work my friend ;)