Tuesday, July 06, 2010

fishing boats

(6x9)
Working on more fishing boats--work that's considerably more pleasant than actually working on a fishing boat. (Do you ever watch The Deadliest Catch?)
I've been kind of thinking--though anything involving commerce is outside my usual realm of thought--that there might be a market for these, and so now I'm considering these 6x9s as studies for larger paintings to come: a way to work out shapes and colors, hopefully refining them and improving on the compositions and my color choices. I suppose some painters do that before painting--but I can't; I have to try it out.
For instance, in the top painting, I wanted a reflected glow on the wheelhouse ... but didn't get it; the color looks dingy.
This morning I washed the whole area out, which, for me anyway, usually leads to an even bigger mess. I'll let it dry--if it will, in this humidity--and see if it's still workable.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Margaret said...

I love the idea - and I love the colors and "activity" of the "Hazel" boat scene - Is that the name on her side? The orange/red shades with the blue - just LOVE it and can't wait to see more.

jamila aladdin said...

Laura ... I love these the colours, composition and style are just perfect

truerecord said...

I like the glow in that bottom Lucky Star painting. I like the whole boat thing, too, a good bit of narrative, perhaps. Such colors!

I've watched a couple of Susan Scheewe's PBS watercolor episodes. She tells the viewer over and over how she works out studies before painting. In fact, they are usually surrounding her as she paints.

I also looked up Emil Nolde from an earlier blog of yours. I learn so much from your blog.

Nolde's art became much freer: he began to see that 'dexterity is also an enemy' and he allowed himself to create fantastic paintings 'without any prototype or model, without any well defined idea ... a vague idea of glow and colour was enough. The paintings took shape as I worked.' The fantasies and the Biblical paintings he created at this time are generally considered his greatest works.

Yikes. Who to believe? Nolde was near the end of a long career.

Anyhoo, however you do it, keep up the great work.

Liana Yarckin said...

i love the boats - composition, color palette and such translucency. it is amazing that you are able to achieve such "fun" watercolor play in such a small size. I always feel the need to paint big in order to have this experience. the painting with the red color tones is my personal favorite.

A Brush with Color said...

The colors in these boat paintings are very attention-grabbing,and I like the way you applied the paint, too--it looks positively luminous, Laura. These are all great.

Diana said...

I love your fishing boats, both paintings have a glow. Beautiful work, you have a looseness that is wonderful. Diana

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about having to try the colors first. I really like the top watercolor - nice colors and composition. You should check out Jerry Stitt - he likes to paint fishing boats. I take classes with him every Thursday.
Jean

Barbra Joan said...

Oh, dare I say it again? You have that way with the 'color thing.'. It just grabs me. You know what I'm thinking? We are just never happy.. You have color down so now your looking for something else to do better.. I'm still trying for the color so I could care less about the 'reflected light on the wheelhouse' LOL! Great work Laura,

Penny said...

I too love the colours and your practice bits, it is what makes your stuff come alive.

Sharon said...

Wow! The redish/orange boats against the blue/violet water is gorgeous!

Diana said...

Gorgeous colors, beautiful work as always, love,Diana