Saturday, July 17, 2010

koi studies

(4x6)
Continues hot and muggy here. Taking a break from the fishing boat paintings: I've done a couple of drawings on Fabriano paper, which I'm thinking may be too "soft" to enjoy painting on in this humidity. Instead I thought I'd play around with some koi studies--quickly done and then left alone (though I did go back, and overdo, the middle one). These are also on Fabriano paper, but are small and I didn't intend to "work" on them much.
(4x6)
These are in the opposite order of how I painted them: I did this last one first, and drew the shapes before I painted; the other two I didn't draw first.
At first, I was most disappointed with the one I drew and thought the drawing had weakened the painting, but now, looking at it, I'm partial to this one ... So, you never know!
(4x6)
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the blue you used in the first one. I always admire how you do a number of watercolors on one subject. How do you find Fabriano paper? I bought some hot pressed recently and noticed it absorbs the colors more that Arches.
Jean

Cristina Dalla Valentina said...

I like very much the second for the abstract quality, and the third for the freshness... as Jean, I admire your ability to extract several beautiful paintings from the same scene! I think that Fabriano paper is not as good as it was once, at present I prefer Arches, both hot and cold pressed.

Margaret said...

And I like the third the best by far - maybe because of the drawing element I see in it. The only thing that could improve it would be a touch more purple. I really like the idea of doing a number of painting style from one topic ... I will have to try this myself. Thanks for the idea.

irinasztukowski said...

Thank you for the hint on Fabriano, I've never tried it but seems that this paper is not for me. Arches is the way to go knowing meself. I think I will stick with it :) However for quick ACEO or quick studies, I might use the Student grade Strathmore...

jamila aladdin said...

Lovely work ... I just love the shades and tones and fresh colours you used

M R Anand said...

the colours and the angle from which you have captured them are admirable. the vivid colours are very pleasing!

Autumn Leaves said...

I like the fish in the top one, the leaves in the second one. The bottom one is just spot on perfect. A fabulous day of painting, Laura!

_Frankb10 said...

Laura, the bottom painting looks the best in my opinion, as I like to see a few pencil lines in a watercolour, though wildly overlapping them with colour can sometimes add a little flair.