Tuesday, September 07, 2021

plein air: stites ave., cape may point

                                  8x8

A little afternoon plein air painting today.
We decided to find a shady spot and then paint whatever was in front of us.
This path to the beach was lined on both sides by thick and unruly shrubs, vines, and trees. And I spent about the first hour just trying to figure out how I could even approach the subject.
The best decision I made was not drawing the fence (though I did indicate where the vertical posts would be). I had tried to draw it twice and was not happy. So I decided to plunge ahead and paint them negatively ... which turned out to give them an appropriately rickety look.

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Nice job, esp. the fence and shadows and all those varied greens. Yes, plein air is so intimidating. I still paint from photos taken outside :(

Jennifer Rose said...

the shadows are def nicely done as is the loose background 😀