Monday, September 13, 2021

plein air: cape may harbor

                      unfinished 10x14
                         unfinished 8x8

                     sketchbook, 9x12

A little afternoon plein air down by Cape May Harbor.
I got out and painted so that's a plus.
But I couldnt really make my paintings work.
In the first I planned to paint the big area of marsh grass by just keeping it all wet ... It got confused- looking but I still think that's a valid strategy.
In the second I planned to paint a lot of undefined shapes to convey all the stuff in the boatyard, but it got too choppy. I think I could make it better by connecting the shapes, painting a lot of it as one shape, changing colors, but without the hard edges.
The sketchbook page--to me the most successful painting I did today--took about 10 minutes!

5 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Funny how it goes like that some days....I love the composition in the second piece the lovely zigging diagonals and the strong negative space. Best wishes.

Barbara Muir said...

I love all of them. So beautiful!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

laura said...

Thank you, Lisa and Barbara.
Yes, as my mother used to say, every day is not a winner!🙂

Jennifer Rose said...

I think you are being to hard on yourself, the lines and shapes in these are really nice

laura said...

Thank you, Jennifer Rose. Yes, sometimes I focus too much on what I wanted instead of what I got! :-)