Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"My Star"

(5x7)
Not much time for painting this weekend--really too bad because we had beautiful skies with dramatic clouds!--with a full house and a pulled muscle in my back, but yesterday, when everyone was out, the dishwasher emptied, the washer and dryer going, dinner prepped, I painted the packs of seeds of morning glories I had planned to plant.

(5x7)
Should've left out the box with growing info ... I can still paint over it, I think.


My Star
by
Robert Browning

All, that I know
Of a certain star
Is, it can throw
(Like the angled spar)
Now a dart of red,
Now a dart of blue;
Till my friends have said
They would fain see, too,
My star that dartles the red and the blue!
Then it stops like a bird; like a flower, hangs furled:
They must solace themselves with the Saturn above it.
What matter to me if their star is a world?
Mine has opened its soul to me; therefore I love it.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Natashia McEwan said...

simply a beautiful blog and georgeous watercolour...of morning glory seed packet!

Natashia

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

So sorry about the pulled muscle. I hope you have a good chiropractor.
I love this Morning Glory packet.
I know I grew them last year from seeds. Aren't they beautiful.

Great paintings.

Take care, and I hope your back is much better.

Barbara

A Brush with Color said...

Oh, those are so pretty, Laura! I love your seed packet flowers--and your signature blues. Gorgeous! I read your note about signing up for a Charles Reid workshop in 2010! I'm so psyched for you. If I didn't know I'd be on the road recruiting by then, I'd say sign me up, too! I'll have to watch vicariously as you get even better!

Mineke Reinders said...

I love morning glories too. They're so modest, yet profuse, and of course gloriously blue (Heavenly blue is my favorite). Love your seed packets (yes, I think you can paint out that bar, though it doesn't bother me that it's there). Sorry to hear about your muscle too, so annoying. Take care and be kind to yourself.

William Evertson said...

I like the word bar and don't think it detracts but makes the subject stand as a seed packet. For me it adds a layer of interest. Since you craft your blog to pair image and poetry the words in the watercolors seem very natural.

Teresa said...

Love your morning glories.... we have lots of them around here... they grow in wild abundance, winding around corn stalks and soybeans, driving the farmers crazy. You can't kill the morning glories without killing the crops...so we usually have a colorful and floral corn and soybean harvest!

Hope your back's doing better... no fun at all :-( Recommendation for the next time you pull a muscle or just have muscle aches... Kwan Loong Oil. You can find it on Amazon.. it's great stuff... works better than anything else I've tried. Found out about this stuff from my Dad who's traveled widely.... including Portugal... where he found this company's products. Same company also makes Tiger Balm (regular white with the green label) which is wonderful for headaches. Massage onto forehead and temples and it cuts the pain by 50-75% almost immediately. I reorder when I get down to one jar so I never run out!

Here are links for both products if you're interested...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A5Z7NE/ref=ox_ya_oh_product?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00014FDQG/ref=ox_ya_oh_product