Monday, November 10, 2008

winter squash

(7.5x11)

I love the shapes and colors of winter squash. I wish I had kept the colors here a bit fresher--as in the white acorn squash, which is actually a creamier white--in the orange one in particular.
It's not finished, but I think I'll stop--I don't see it resolving into anything.
I'll try another another before I bake and eat them!

This afternoon I'll be starting a six-session class in Ocean City with Marie Natale, a great watercolorist and teacher. I've painted with Marie before, in OC and on location. I'm looking forward the class--it'll give self-discipline a little kick-start.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Leah said...

the squash look great, laura! i really love the white squash in particular.

Dale said...

Oh wow, your squash look so great here! It reminds me of the farmers market i visited on saturday... there were so many squash i couldn't resist buying one for making soup.

Great blog here :)

littleyorks said...

Great watercolour! Love the spontaneity of the washes. You were so wonderfully free with your washes and that's what makes the squash really "there". Super blog, too!

littleyorks said...

Great watercolour! Love the spontaneity of the washes. You were so wonderfully free with your washes and that's what makes the squash really "there". Super blog, too!

C. Cooper said...

Beautiful watercolour painting Laura! and I really enjoyed viewing your little slide show on the side, amazing flora's!! :o)

laura said...

Thank you all for stopping by and commenting.
I've been painting sporadically and without much satisfaction lately, but your kind comments make me want to paint more!!

A Brush with Color said...

Ooooh--I think they're beautiful! Great rich colors!

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi Laura, I think your colors are quite fresh,as always. Lucky you off to a workshop!

BARBARA WEEKS said...

Beautiful! I love how the colors blend.

Sharon said...

These are lovely. I particularly like the one on the left. I've had squash on my mind, too!

Claire MW said...

Wow, just found your blog today, via A View from the Green Barn. What lovely work - the squash are my favorite though. Do you have an Etsy store or are you selling your work elsewhere? Looking at your paintings makes me want to try painting, but I'd just disappoint myself if I did, so I would rather buy one of yours!