Wednesday, November 26, 2008

pines

(3.5x5)
From a photo I took a few years ago in Concord, NH--a beautiful place!

(4x5)

(4x5)

Beginnings from two more NH photos. I've been wanting to paint these scenes for some time; this reminds me of John Singer Sargent's Adirondacks painting--which I think I'll take a look at before going on.
******
This morning I was in line at the supermarket behind a petite very young woman who was buying all the elements of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, potatoes, cranberry sauce and, touchingly, I thought, canned turkey gravy. As the cashier, a lovely woman from Russia was checking her out, the younger woman began talking to her in Russian; she was from Russia too and celebrating her first Thanksgiving. I felt a surge of love for America and all the pilgrims, early and late.
~-~Happy Thanksgiving~-~
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Deborah Carr said...

Laura - this is my first visit to your blog...having followed a thread from another. Your watercolours captivate me (I cherish trees)...and your Thanksgiving thoughts tell me you are a mindful, thoughtful person.

I will visit often...and leave you with this...What if trees could speak? What wisdom would they whisper?

vivien said...

my first visit too, having followed your comment back from our moleskine exchange

Lovely work :>) loose but well observed and vibrant

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh my goodness, these paintings are gorgeous... you have captured the subtleties and the beauty .. Beautiful lines, love your stokes...

Judybec said...

Laura these are all fabulous!! Your style is lovely --thanks for sharing your "America" story too-- We have some Indian neighbors who just adore our country. --Makes us appreciate it even more.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Hi Laura. I'm tagging you.... I've been reading your blog for awhile and hope you'll share some information with us readers ... only if you want to of coarse.

The rules of being tagged are:
1. Link to person who tagged you
2. Mention the rules
3. List 6 or 7 unusual things about yourself or quirky but boring, unspectacular details about yourself
4. Tag 6 or 7 other bloggers at the end of your post and comment on their blogs to let them know they've been tagged.

Teresa said...

These are lovely, Laura. The top one could easily be a scene from Maine.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Yes, the word "lovely" applies — to the sketches as well as the Thanksgiving story!