Sunday, February 18, 2024

old palettes


I used to use Cheap Joe's "piggyback" palette, which holds a lot of colors--upward of 32, I think--and has a 15-well palette (which you can buy separately) that fits into a space on the palette's lid.
It was the heyday of my discovery of Daniel Smith, and I used the piggyback to squeeze out my new colors to try.
Turns out I rarely used these, but I'm going to set them out to encourage myself to try/use them. Especially the quinacridones (top left).
One I do consistently use, though these aren't all Daniel Smith colors--the hematite, which I love, is DS--is my neutrals palette, which, in addition to the colors you might expect has Joe Z's gray (or is it black?) and two colors I was introduced to in a Carol Carter workshop--in person! Shout-out to Rhonda!-- shadow violet and shadow green.

I can't resist a color with the word "blue" in it and I like the two blues above. But, I don't know why, they're "soapy," which is unpleasant. 
Love how the shadow violet separates into red and blue. I wonder why the green doesn't separate-- how disappointing!
Raw umber violet surprised me: I didn't expect the color to be so pretty!
Venetian red and Minnesota pipestone I can do without; never attracted to the warm muddy reds, but perhaps that's because I live at the shore, where such colors arent prominent.

5 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, this was like candy to me this morning - those luscious, granulating colors! I seem to have so many reds and oranges in my kit but I don’t use them that much so I wonder why I bought them? I use more cool colors and lots of blues, so I, too, cannot resist a blue that is new to me. I still use the shadow violet but don’t use the shadow green as much (although I have it). I do have hematite and Moonglow. Oh, so many colors. I think I’d buy one or two new ones each time I took a workshop and Carol Carter definitely turned me on to Shadow Violet :). And I bought Rose of Ultramarine one time because of the name! We artists are a funny bunch!

laura said...

Palettes are so beautiful. I should paint them!

Evelyn said...

I love colour - always have and always will. I find the colours in your palettes so exciting... !

laura said...

Thanks, Evelyn. I agree!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

I am forever going to have 'rumber' and 'bumber' in my palette now :o)) it makes them sound so exciting. I'm with Rhonda, this looks like a box of sweeties and makes my fingers itch to paint.