Sunday, February 04, 2024

designing a painting

Started a class with Susan Abbott, through Winslow Art Center, this Saturday: it's about using a variety of references to design a painting.
I will use one of these quick mages of my nana and her mother and brother. These old b&w photos are good for me because the values are already clear.
Now I have to select a setting to put them in.
I have to do some "thinking" sketches where I figure out the composition and values.
Susan's classes really make me stretch and think, which is why I enjoy them so much.

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

There is something really appealing about the first one - perhaps it is the dark background. I like the third, too. I think you should do several!!

laura said...

Thank you, Rhonda. I probably will end up doing several as I expect I'll have a few fails!