Sunday, October 10, 2021

alice neel inspired

                              12x12

I was able to get to the Alice Neel exhibit in NYC late in the summer. (Saw Daoud Bey and Cezanne exhibits on the same trip!)
And in one of my online art classes, we looked at Neel.
The Neel-ist thing about this painting is the subject. 
I did some outlining and left some parts unpainted, both things Neel would do.
I was working from a photo. And even though it's a photo of my mother and brother, I wonder if it's possible to get the engagement Neel seems to have with her sitters if you're not sitting with a person?
                             12x12

Started a second--me and my brothers: a Neel-like subject but ...

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I LOVE both of these!!!

laura said...

Thank you, Rhonda!🙂