Thursday, March 26, 2009

dsfdf

(6x8)
Another painting from the current Different Strokes reference photo.
I thought I might call it "Neither Out Far, Nor In Deep," a play on the Frost poem:

The people along the sand
All turn and look one way.
They turn their back on the land.
They look at the sea all day.

As long as it takes to pass
A ship keeps raising its hull;
The wetter ground like glass
Reflects a standing gull.

The land may vary more;
But wherever the truth may be---
The water comes ashore,
And the people look at the sea.

They cannot look out far.
They cannot look in deep.
But when was that ever a bar
To any watch they keep?


I just want to thank and acknowledge Mineke and Rhonda, both of whom have recently passed along the Passion for Painting award to me. Thank you both very much for thinking of me!
Like other blogging awards acceptance entails paying it forward and linking to other art bloggers; I'm working on my acceptance post and hope to have it up soon!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

cathyswatercolors said...

I love this funny guy on the beach.

A Brush with Color said...

I love these water paintings you've been doing, Laura! I'm jealous of how easy you make it look. I've been too busy with work to do much painting, but you're inspiring me to try soon. (This is our Admitted Students' visitation weekend, and we've been nutsy busy and will be through it all.) I'll come back to be inspired again soon as I can!

RH Carpenter said...

I love the painting and the poem. Makes me long to be by the sea...soon...soon :) And you do make it look so easy to get the rolling waves and colors of the sea and sand.

Anonymous said...

Like the painting and the poem. The subject has a lot of character too. You've inspired me toget out my bay photos and do some more water subjects.
Jean

dominique eichi said...

I love this one and the poem is an added blessing to your image

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

I like your watercolour style immensely.

Barbara

r garriott said...

Your colors are always so clean and vibrant... yummy!

Don said...

love the guy enjoying the sea! you captured the whole feel of that image and i can almost hear the waves, seagulls and young people making fun of another generation

mARTa said...

Your watercolor as always are lovely, but this series at the beach are outstanding. I love the refections best of all. Beautiful!

conniep said...

You do have a flowing way with watercolors, and they stay sovibrant!. Thanks for visiting my blog, too.