Sunday, July 13, 2008

day two: careful

(11x15)
Big surprise: I'm not exactly approaching this in the methodical way I outlined yesterday--I'm jumping around from area to area more than I envisioned. I think I need to think about where to put some darks to recapture/redefine the patterning that's so clear in the blue-only version.
In the back of my mind, though, I'm really just gambling on the orange flower "making" it.

For a break from green and some lovely, restful neutral colors, see Cathy's painting in progess. It is really fascinating to see another painter's process unfolding!


My movie-rating system:

dry-eyed *
choked up **
weepy ***
hot tears ****
sobbing and wailing *****
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Laura Frankstone said...

This is going to be so much fun to see develop, Laura! I want you to know that I read your blog every time you update (I subscribe to your blog via Bloglines) and I'm always so delighted by your work. I should try and comment more, so you'll know I do. And I always get a little jolt when I see the blog title... is that me, I ask moronically ;D.

Cathy Gatland said...

I'm so glad you're not being too methodical, it makes me feel so inadequate! I hope you don't mind, I linked to you from my post today as I am following your example and doing a work-in-progress (hoping that will make me more methodical). I love these colours -the orange will really zing...I must get The Kite Runner - have been wanting to see it for ages, sounds -sob- great!

laura said...

Thank you, Laura--and right back at you; your blog was one of the early ones--along with Muddy Red Shoes--that inspired me to start my blog and that, maybe more importantly, keeps me going!!

I often admire those watercolors made by artists who plan each step; then berate myself for not doing the same, but I think I'm coming to accept it's just not in my nature! Though, I think it doesn't hurt to try sometimes--maybe a little method would be beneficial! ;-)
And, no, of course I don't mind at all if you kink to my blog--it's a great idea since we're both doing a work-in-progress; I'll link to you too!

Sharon said...

It's very fun (and helpful) to see your progress on this, Laura. These blues are beautful!

A Brush with Color said...

lovely colors here--so rich! I'm looking forward to what develops, too!