Wednesday, March 19, 2008



Shouldn't have, but I did. (What a familiar-sounding refrain!) I added a little more to this painting first posted on Feb 28, then a little more ... I think I will add some of the darker, purple color from the upper right to the lower left, and try to straighten out the left edge of the jar.
Haven't found a comfortable alternative to painting at home, so not doing much ... But last night I was looking at a great book, Hopper's Places, which shows Hopper paintings next to photos of the locations they're based on. I think while I'm still in limbo I can do a few drawing from these photos to paint when possible.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

William Evertson said...

Glad you're back. I love both versions. Frankly, I'm drawn to the imagined in the white because of my training in Japanese art. I feel that you convey much implied color when you have the white space in your 'unfinished' works. Best

Mineke Reinders said...

Good to see your lovely colors again, Laura. I like both versions, too, but I think your idea of adding more of that purple is a good one. Love that turquoise blue! Together they would form a lively, dramatic background.
Also, the orchids are beautiful, and I love the color swatches in the corner! They seem part of the work to me.
Good luck with the ongoing renovations :)

laura said...

I have to agree, Bill: I like white, and negative space. Often, though, my enthusiasm or my thoughtlessness carries me over ...
Thanks, Mineke. I'm trying to play with swatches a little before painting, because I feel I'm too reliant on color straight from the tube--like those fabulous teals and turquoises; I have to remind myself of all the various and beautiful colors that can be made from mixing.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

this is a beauty. Loose and fresh!