Wednesday, January 29, 2020

this week in class...

                                12x16

I took this reference photo two or three years ago; I think I was drawn to the overlapping planes.
This painting is pretty true to the photo. I did add the car, which is why it's out of scale!
When I do this again--and I will because I think I can improve it--I'll make it less of a close-up ... maybe put the ocean in the background?
And I'll change the colors of the houses and roofs: too many midtones here; I think I need to get some stronger high-low contrasts in there to make the scene brighter.

5 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

It’s lovely but I’m glad you’re going to boost up the color changes in the next one and put in the ocean :).

laura said...

Thanks, Rhonda. Yes when I was almost finished--of course--I saw it was all mostly the same value

Barbara Muir said...

So beautiful. I love how you create perfect work, and then
criticize it like crazy. I'm sure that comforts some people.
Your work is so gorgeous. I just love what you do.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

laura said...

That's me to a T, Barbara. But I don't take my own criticism to heart; I just always think I can improve. 🙂

Candy said...

Laura, this is lovely. I know what you're saying about the mid-tones and yet this is so delicate and pretty... I have a feeling that this painting will stand up just fine next to the next version that you paint.