Sunday, January 26, 2020

cardinal

                                 @6x9

As with recent boat painting, I settled on a technique at the end rather than the beginning! At least I'll know what to do next time.
Here, I painted the bird and the more prominent branches then began thinking of the background.
So, I wet the background with a light warm-to-cool wash and painted branches into it using palette grays. I wasn't happy with some on the left, so I smushed them together. When it dried, I added a few more light branches.
Did I overdo it?

8 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful 😀

Barbara Muir said...

Gorgeous Laura!

Magnificent.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

monne-floor said...

Mooi gedaan

laura said...

Bedankje

laura said...

Thank you, Barbara. I'll be part of a group show in June and they want bird paintings!

laura said...

Thank you

RH Carpenter said...

Not overdone at all - you have to have something to compete with that red red bird :). Lovely work, and no one would know you struggled a bit by not planning (we can’t always be so rigid in our planning and sometimes we get some great things from happy accidents!).

Rachel Murphree said...

I see no overworking! It looks natural and wonderful!