Saturday, January 25, 2020

portrait class

                               11x14

I'll be starting a portrait class this week. I'm not interested in portraiture per se, but I thought paintimg people would be a good challenge ... Sometimes challenges yield good results.
The teacher is an oil and acrylic painter, and that's where the focus will be, I guess, but I'll be using watercolor. If I get brave, ink.
I surreptitiously (or not so surreptitiously, according to my friend) snapped pictures of this young woman at an outdoor bar in Atlantic City. I liked the strong light, and her hair is a gorgeous deep copper color!
The shadows on her face, especially around her mouth, are a little weird, but maybe will work better in watercolor. 🤞

And a page of blind contour drawings from lesson 1 of sktchy's 30 faces 30 days online class

2 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

I love all of these! You continue to inspire me.

laura said...

Thank you, Mary, what a nice thing to say