Friday, September 08, 2023

VT workshop exercises

This first exercise we did in Susan Abbott's studio was a lot of fun. She gave us a black and white photo and, turning it upside down, we painted only the darks. Essentially creating a Notan.
Then we chose analogous colors to paint the light and midtones.
Amazingly it did not matter what colors you chose!
They all looked great but I especially loved the pink ones!

This one was harder.
We chose a triad, mixed chromatic neutrals and painted with them, trying to keep a play of warm and cool going.
We retained a few spots in which to use one or more of our triad colors in its pure state-- which I think is a great idea.

I can't remember the exact assignment for this one. I think it may have been to select one or two complementary pairs and use them pure, unmixed, adding analogous color to bridge the shapes and hold the painting together. I don't think I did exactly what Susan asked but I was really trying to just break free from local color.


No comments: