Tuesday, September 26, 2023

annapolis

                           10x12
More experimenting in the style of Charles Demuth.
This was a tremendous learning experience for me.
I think mainly in that I had to be more deliberate than I customarily am. For one, I had to let things dry! Which I did not always succeed in doing! 
I noticed that Demuth makes his shadows and "fractures" another value of the underlying color-- eg, not blue or violet.
The most intriguing mind game was deciding where to drop the lines ... nervewracking since the painting was pretty much done! In future I think I'll xerox my drawing and try out different ways to intersect the scene on them.
Of course, I see a problem, or two, but overall this was a fun challenge, involved a lot of thought, even obsession, and I'm pretty pleased.

6 comments:

Clarke Green said...

Really like this. Thanks for turning me on to Demuth!

laura said...

Thank you, Clarke. I love Demuth's watercolors, especially the still life's of apples and pears. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Great subject and approach, a playground for the eyes and brain. Kudus to you for solving the puzzle, well done, ❤️

René PleinAir said...

Love it bigtime, ...

Never heard of him, but I regonize this technic.

Love it, .. a real extra item (spiritual) in you're paintbox

Thanks !!

laura said...

Thank you, Anonymous!

laura said...

Thank you, Rene!
An American painter of the early 1900s; friend of O'Keeffe and Dove, and William Carlos Williams and Eugene O'Neill. Credited with being a founder of precision ism. Charles Sheeler's work is similar.