Friday, May 19, 2023

chincoteague

                Sketchbook pages
                             4x8

Met up with my brother for a few days in Chincoteague, Va., a place I always think if as my getaway: only a 2 hour drive from Lewes, Del., but it's like stepping back in time. (I never go in summer though, when I imagine it must be crazy crowded!)
In 3 hours I was in 4 states: NJ, DE, MD, VA. And I was just loving the Mid-Atlantic region!
The grid of colors is an idea I took from the book Local Color by Mimi Robinson which Susan Abbott had recommended.
As a bonus we found a truly superb chef-owned restaurant, the Channel Bass: we went there both nights!
On a whim I started asking people we met, the locals, how they pronounced Chincoteague, which turned out to be a great icebreaker.
Seems I've been pronouncing it wrong--I said chink-o-teague-- and giving myself away as an outsider.
The correct pronunciation is shink-a- tig, said quickly.
A bartender wrote it down for me.

             


No comments: