Monday, August 09, 2021

plein air: cape may harbor


Small studies. Our teacher, Joe Milligan, challenged us to paint a few studies to see what we could learn from one to the next and to see if we would loosen up.
I don't think I got looser ... and I'm not sure what I learned--maybe that doing studies before tackling a complicated subject is a good idea.
My last study (bottom right) isn't quite finished. And none of the boats' rigging has been added.
From study to study I was exasperated by trying to figure out how to paint what was behind the docked fishing boats. I could see a lot of stuff but only wanted to paint enough to frame the boats ... something I was not successful at in any of my attempts.
What really drew me to the scene was the little sailboat and I realized too late that I should have made it the sole subject and dispensed with the background!

Coming soon:

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

There’s definitely something to like in all of these little studies. I think the vague, just-blobs-of-color telling us it’s the shoreline, colors in the bg of the upper right work the best and I love the little blue boat with the orange buoy next to it. Are these plein air classes? You certainly have beautiful scenes to paint all around you! Looking forward to the glass and flower.

laura said...

Thank you, Rhonda. Yes, plein air, and there are a lot of beautiful subjects here at the Jersey shore!