Monday, February 24, 2020

sparrow

                                6x9

Sometimes I just try too hard ... and it shows. My sparrows show my anxiety about getting feather patterns "correct"!
 I should try doing some freehand birds to loosen and warm up before attempting a painting because, after all, it's not a zoological rendering--getting the patterning exactly right isnt the point for me: I'd like to be able to get a confident, and convincing, impression.
If past experience is any guide, the warmups will probably be most appealing!

2 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

Laura - I especially love your second painting - it's really well done. I don't see the tightness in it that you speak of. It's well drawn and painted. Very sweet indeed. The first painting seems a bit tentative but the second seems to me to have accomplished your goal of a "confident, convincing impression". Maybe you're referring to something else that I'm not understanding yet. I also like the arrangement of your composition. You inspire me to get back to painting again.

Anne Le Maître said...

I like this bird !