Wednesday, September 03, 2008

boats finished


I thought this picture needed something, so I added the mast to the front boat. I think I'll lift a little (it's too dark), but otherwise, it was a good afterthought.


I like working scenes in pairs like this; it's easier for me be pleased with one in contrast to the other! Last night I went through my photos and put together a few other sets to work on.

Friday I'm hoping to join one of my teachers, Marie Natale, painting outdoors at the Emlen Physick Estate in Cape May.The house has an amazingly complicated red roof and pretty grounds (and a Twinings teahouse, so I can look forward to a great lunch). The inside is typically Victorian, i.e., hideous--dark crowded rooms.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

William Evertson said...

Between our vacation and then a labor day trip to Ithaca, NY, I've got a bit of catching up to do. Your boats are so serene and I liked to see the progression. Can't wait to see how your Friday outing goes.

Cathy Gatland said...

Serene is the word, these boats are an instant de-stress - I like the way you've let the bottoms (hulls?) blend into the cool shadows. Glad you found the distant colour-formula useful!

Ruth said...

Very pretty. Your time away sounds like it will be great, yummy and inspiring. Hope so!

Vivienne said...

They're very atmospheric. IS there a bit of end-of-summer melancholy, or am I influenced by your earlier comments? The strong verticals certainly are good additions, and I like the warm bits in the foregrounds too.

Suzanne McDermott said...

The atmosphere is very pleasant in this - especially the foreground shadows.

Kari Gibson said...

These are great - they do make a lovely pair. I love the gentle curve the boats form in the second one.

Have a great time on Friday!

A Brush with Color said...

I love the boats--such soothing colors and the mast is a good addition! Great job! you have such a lovely touch in your artwork. That house where you're heading to paint looks amazing. Have fun!

Sharon said...

VERY nice composition on both of these paintings, Laura.

Deb said...

I've enjoyed viewing your blog...your work is beautiful!