Tuesday, September 02, 2008

blanched boats

My second go at these yacht club paintings. I don't think it's ever taken me so long to finish such little pictures! I'm pecking and thinking too much. So tomorrow morning I'll devote ten minutes to finishing them up and move on.
I like the shapes in the second one, and think I'll probably do a larger version.
(4x6)
(4x6)
I was thinking about these last night and how to approach them, what I wanted them to come out looking like ... I don't think they're going to be exactly what I envisioned, but it's okay.
I rely on the unpredictable and ephemeral quality of watercolors. (How Blanche DuBois of me.)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Don said...

Do you find that the changing light of the different seasons has any kind of measurable effect on your painting? I am looking forward to what you do in winter!!

laura said...

I'd like to say it does, Don--after all artists are always talking "the light"--but I'm not sure! I do know that I notice, and am perhaps attracted to, different colors in different seasons and places; maybe that's just how I perceive light, through color.
Winter! Whoa there, aren't you forgetting fall? ;-)
Hope you had a great first day of school, and that your 3rd graders did too!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Hi Laura, I followed you over from "flat sound of wooden clogs" blog and love your painting that you are working on. I really enjoy seeing the progress in your posts. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished painting.

A Brush with Color said...

LOL--I'm enjoying your Blance duBois comment. They look lovely so far. I always wish I could see the artist's vision and what it ultimately becomes. I know mine never match! If only I could share the vision, I'd be quite happy! These look great to me!

Kari Gibson said...

LOL, very Blanche DuBois - that was funny! (I have a feeling I am a bit like that too, eek!).