Saturday, February 16, 2008

tulips for the snowbound


(7.5x11)
Had a go at painting the tulip shapes, drawing a few of the flowers and improvising/inserting others, but I neglected to give much thought to the leaves, which led me to do the sketch below, delineating the shapes and directions of the leaves a little more carefully. I always have this same problem with tulips: the leaves are too much for me. I think I need to study a little Charles Demuth before painting the drawing; his way of painting only at the edges of shapes might work for me. Or I might paint the leaves as all one shape then drop in color and/or clear water and just see what happens!

(11x15)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sara Mathewson said...

These Tulips are gorgeous! I love the colors and looseness. I promised my daughter that I would paint her a tulip painting with pink and yellow tulips. Her B-day is next month and I want it for that. These are n inspiration! I have been reading your blog for a few weeks and I love your watercolors. I have you on my google reader and every time I see a new post I get excited to see what you have done.

Sara
www.saramathewson.com

laura said...

Oh my, thank you, Sara, that's very flattering and I appreciate your visiting my blog.
Pink and yellow is a beautiful color combination; what a wonderful birthday present for your daughter!

laura said...

p.s. I just visited your website and love your flower paintings, esp. the yellow/orange tulips and your poppies! And the irises ...Some bloom in my sideyard and I try to paint them every year, but I just can't seem to do them justice.