Sunday, February 17, 2008

(11x15)


This is about as far as I'll get today, I think, and though they're not very Demuth-like, I'm happy with how the leaves are coming along ... I'm just trying to keep the washes from being flat and to vary the color.

I usually paint straight through till the painting's done, afraid if I stop I'll lose interest (and with good reason, judging from the number of unfinished paintings I have), but it's probably not a bad practice to stop and at some not-too-late point and think it over! In painting as in life I seem to bounce back and forth between impulsiveness and deliberateness.

I'm painting this on CP Saunders Waterford paper, which I've never used before, and I like it. It has a nice texture, like D'Arches, but my impression is that the paints lays on the surface longer, giving the washes more time to mingle and be manipulated, which I like.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

About said...

I love the variations in color you are getting in this...very fresh...delicious!

Mineke Reinders said...

Love the colors, this is going to be great!

debwardart said...

Looking good - I've used Saunders a lot in the past, but found that it is hard to glaze on - after a few layers it is like painting on a blotter! I did a train on it, one of the hardest pictures I've ever done! So - good luck! I'll check back to see how it looks finished. And thanks for checking my blog - and for your compliment on my lace!