Wednesday, July 15, 2009

coconuts

with miskit

miskit removed
I seldom use miskit--I'm not a planner, and usually if I think to leave a space white, I'll paint around it ... it won't come out perfect, but that doesn't mater to me. Here, it would have been hard to save the orange branch from which the coconuts grow with a resist.
Ultimately though I wound up overworking the whole thing a bit ... the miskited version above is so much brighter!
(5x7)
Coconuts are on my mind: I mixed up a shaker of Pusser's Painkillers, which I first had in Tortola, BVI, when my friends Mike and Lisa invited me to go sailing with them, beginning my love for the Caribbean--and for rum drinks.

Pusser's Painkiller

4 parts pineapple juice
1 part orange juice
1 part cream of coconut
2 or 3 parts rum

Serve on ice.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

I used to use this stuff all the time when I did watercolour -- the only trouble was that sometimes it stayed on and went a grimy grey. I love the painting. It worked!

The Mantra? Let's use it again.

Take care,

Barbara

Charlene Brown said...

Jean's right on http://the-watercolorist.blogspot.com/2009/07/greens-for-watercolorists.html You really don't have any trouble with greens! Or blues, or yellows, or... This is another very appealing palm painting.

A Brush with Color said...

Wonderful, Laura! I have used frisket here and there, but like you, I normally prefer to just work around stuff...but this is great! I think that would have called for a lot of working around, and it might have looked more forced if you had to be thinking that much about it. I love it! That drink sounds excellent--I'll have to give one of those a go here very soon! ;))

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

Mix one of those fancy drinks and toast yourself. I've given you the Bella Sinclair award, which you justly deserve and more so.

Take care,

Barbara

Melinda said...

Wow, wow, wow! Gorgeous images and really great painting!

Luminous and energetic, I think you've mastered the most important skills of good watercolor.

lolly-jolly said...

I love most the 1st version of the painting!

Cathy Gatland said...

I try miskit every now and then, and usually vow not to ever again - until the next time...sometimes it's just necessary - it really did the job here, just gorgeous colours, flecks of light and loose wavy lines.
Hope you're enjoying your plein air painting!