Monday, November 13, 2023

shorebirds

.                             8x6
                       Western gull

I took a fun class with Megan Swoyer this week: painting shorebirds in a free and loose style, a painterly style. I do like trying to be not so literal and also letting the paint flow.
I enjoy painting with Megan; one, she's really nice and a great teacher and two, I usually paint differently than I would on my own ... I stretch a little.
Marbled godwit

In the painting of a Curlew, below, I used a Daniel Smith color I don't usually use, hematite; it's a browish gray that really granulated--i love it! You can see it around the head and behind the far wing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was fun being in Megan's Shorebird's class with you, Laura! I love how your little skitterers turned out--painterly, for sure!

laura said...

Thank you, Anonymous!

SlotJoint said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your post! Your perspective is refreshing. Keep up the great work and write more!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Lovely paintings. I have been tempted by that DS colour a number of times and now you are tempting me with it too! I love what you have done with it. Best wishes.

laura said...

Thanks, Lisa. hematite' s granulation really is beautiful! I plan to find ways to use it more