Tuesday, July 13, 2021

plein air: cape may

                                7x10
                             10x14

I worked on these simultaneously ... and each has things I like and things I don't like.
The top one is further along, though I'm not sure either one is finished.
But I don't think I'll finish either one: in both cases I'm not happy with the boat's cast shadow, which looks like a blob!
The sun was behind the stern, casting a shadow just like the one in the paintings ... But "that's how it was" is no excuse.

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I knew when I saw this in Angela’s video today that it was your painting!! I love the top one where the beach cuts in more and I don’t mind the shadows at all on either one! I did a little funky free-form painting like she did today (I like to try to follow along with what she’s doing although I use my own colors, just to see what comes out - never looks like her’s do!).
How are you liking the course?

laura said...

Oh, I missed the video today, but now I'll have to watch it.
I like her classes--her approach is very freeing, I feel. And I like to paint along too. Haven't had much time to do the lessons of late, but want to get back on it before my 3 month membership expires!

Rachel Murphree said...

I like the top one a LOT! the shadow is perfect.

laura said...

Thank you, Rachel!