Wednesday, May 05, 2021

iris study

                              10x6

From a photo of dwarf Ditch irises in my yard earlier this spring.
Planning a larger, maybe 12x16?, of a group of these irises, and did this one to try out how I would approach it.
I decided on colors I would ahead of time (so unlike me): blue violet, red violet, yellow green ... and pretty much stuck to it. So, okay.
Messed up in my paint handling skills: 1) I got bleeding where I didn't want it; 2) mixed ugly neutral in the bottom.
I think I need to get a better plan-- for the pattern of the leaves, and for letting sections dry before painting next to them.

3 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

I am sitting here in 100% Wow mode, and reading your criticisms of this beauty.
So gorgeous. But I think you are very kind to be so self effacing -- that let's the rest of us who would be so proud to create such a painting, feel a bit better

So amazing!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Jennifer Rose said...

I sort of see what you mean by the ugly neutral at the bottom, but you could always crop that off and be left with the gorgeous irises 😀

RH Carpenter said...

Well, I see a lot of variety in the many shapes and colors and it looks good to me! The iris are definitely blooming out and I’m painting one on a card for my mother - hope it turns out!