Thursday, February 27, 2014

fox sparrow


(I apologize for the quality of these photos; they were taken through a window and screen.)
Yesterday I glanced out the window and saw this little reddish bird I'd never seen before; there were two, actually. They would hop up, off both feet, and scratch at the ground in one quick sweep as they came down. Fascinating to watch. Consulting my field guides, I found they are fox sparrows.
I went outside with camera today, hoping they'd stop by again and I could get some better shots, but I didn't see them today. Did get to see one of my other perennial favorites, the white-throated saprrow.



2 comments:

Celia Blanco said...

It's hard to get pictures of birds, they usually fly off so quickly.You got some great shots to work with.

RH Carpenter said...

What a gorgeous little bird - will be waiting to see your watercolor version of him (or her). We had a large hawk on our deck today - he's been hanging around but getting pretty bold to come right up to the deck and wait for my birdies!!! Will have to do something about that.