Sunday, July 10, 2011

one for two

 
(7x11)
Two seagull paintings I've been working on today: one works, the other not so much! In the second one, I can't really see the eyes in my photo, but I went ahead and tried to paint them anyway: bad move.
I'll let it dry and see if it's salvageable, if not, redraw it and try again.
 
(7x11)
Marnold commented on the fishing boat name, Negotiator, in my last post: it's fun to look at and think of boat names. My kayak is La Estrellita Amarilla; I wanted to call one of the boats Spuyten Duyvil (Spitting Devil, or literally, "devil's spout" in Dutch) but no one else can remember it.
There are two fishing boats down here whose names I like, the Instigator and the Agitator, in large part because that's what we used to call my two younger brothers when they were little: they were forever at each others' throats--one instigating and the other agitating. I was always put between them to keep them apart: call me the Separator.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Zoe, ontheroad said...

Spuyten Duyvil are words so familiar to my ears--perfect for learning Dutch.

And a wonderful turn in the river.

Lovely seagull.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laura,

I love the seagulls and the boats before them. The one that you're having trouble with looks good to me.

Xo Barbara

Autumn Leaves said...

I love the birds, Laura. In the second, it looks like the bird's eyes are closed and is quite familiar looking to me. I've seen just that look numerous times in birds. Et voila! No need to do any corrections! LOL Do you speak Dutch then?

A Brush with Color said...

Hahaaa--love your nicknames as kids. As for the birds, I think they both work! The light in the second one is incredible. These are beautiful birds, Laura.

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

I love your seagulls!! They look great the way they are! I especially like the second one, something about the pose or the colors. Cute anecdote about your brothers, I may have to adopt those names for my boys, unfortunately we don't have a separator:)

Anonymous said...

The seagulls are great. The first one is perfectly placed off center and has a lively inquisitive look about him. I like the colors used in the post.
Jean

Joyfulartist said...

Yours are prettiest seagulls I've ever seen. Nice and quiet, too, and not after my sandwich!

Melanie said...

really beautiful colors - i love the composition of the first one... and as mentioned above - they are perfect seagulls, they are not after my food :)