Sunday, March 02, 2014

method + paper



I watched a couple of Birgit O'Connor videos on YouTube and thought I'd give her method--filling a petal or shape with water then putting in the color--a try. I found it to be harder than it looks!
My flowers are much smaller than the size O'Connor works, which may be a problem, but I really chose the wrong paper.
 When I cleaned out my studio I made a pile of papers to try out to see if they were worth keeping: this paper was one of them, and the paint just didn't flow on the surface the way it needed to. In the canna lily especially, I had to push the paint around, which made kind of a mess.
I'll try again with one of the papers I know better.


The fox sparrows I saw earlier in the week are passing through the Midatlantic from their southeast-to-Gulf of Mexico wintering grounds to their summer homes in northern Canada.

4 comments:

Jo Rashi said...

Lovely...:-)

RH Carpenter said...

It's sometimes fun to try out new papers but hard when the paper fights you (of course, I guess that's what you learn when you try new papers?). I like the way you've faded out the edges of the iris = lovely look to these. I think the canna may be a bit overworked, but, like you say, you had to push that paint around a lot. My students are doing the Birgit O'Connor thing now with 1/4 sheet paper - it does help to paint larger when working with really wet paper.

Polly Birchall said...

These are lovely studies despite your reservations

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful. I love your descriptions.
XOXOXO Barbara