Thursday, January 23, 2014

floats

I took an idea from Katherine Harra to do this painting: in a blog post, Katherine describes how she traced one of her own drawings, then repositioned it and drew it again. Go see her gorgeous results!
 I tried the same thing here: I traced my first float painting, transferred it to a new piece of paper, then spun the tracing and drew it again. I just changed the looping rope on one of them a bit.

Now I can see what's wrong with the webbed float: it should be a globe, but the way I've drawn the webbing makes it look flattened. Won't be tracing that one.

6 comments:

Celia Blanco said...

I love this idea! Your vivid blues are beautiful and I love the rope. It keeps your eye moving from one float to the other.

RH Carpenter said...

I'm wondering if the colors flatten out the picture plan on the single float, too? Perhaps change the float color to something more orangey? Just a suggestion - the others look great!

Barbara Muir said...

What a brilliant idea. And I love both of the paintings.

XOXOXO Barbara

Katherine Harra said...

These look great, Laura (and thanks for the plug and nice words). I'm not bothered by the flatness of the third float: by now the composition and relationship of the floats is even more interesting than the accuracy of each image interesting.

JANE MINTER said...

worked well with the two floats in the top crop laura

Unknown said...

All of these recent works are so charming and creatively composed and painted. I love this one especially. There is something about the textures and soft blue/green colors and the casual arrangement that really appeals to me.