Thursday, January 30, 2014

drawn and not drawn

(4x5)
A house sparrow ... drawn first (above) and not (below). I like how not drawing first forces me to find different "solutions" ... like the forward line of the bird's breast, below, where I added a bit of a dotted line to define it against the white background. In the drawn version: no need. (Although, looking again, it couldn't hurt.)

(4x4)

And a couple of pictures I took early Wednesday morning after filling the bird feeders. The details are not so sharp as one would like--I was using a zoom and should have adjusted my settings for photographing dark things on a bright white background--but I like the compositions.



4 comments:

_Frankb10 said...

To Be honest Laura, I like the drawn version best but they are both good. We have an abundance of house sparrows on our feeders right outside the kitchen window and they are a joy to watch - so sweet and such lovely colour hues.

RH Carpenter said...

Well done on both versions of the LBB - I think the feet of the freehand one are more substantial and defined and I like the eye a lot on that one, too :)
Thanks for sharing the photos - I bet we'll be seeing that one soon.

Celia Blanco said...

Great exercise both versions are lovely! The photo with the bird resting on the branch with berries is my favorite.

Debbie Nolan said...

Laura - - very lovely. I like the idea of not drawing versus drawing and painting. Gives two different approaches - both of yours are charming. Love you little snow bird on the branch. Are they not so sweet.