Friday, August 16, 2019

plein air: cape may point light

 8x10

Pleasant day painting at the state park with Joe Milligan, who has been teaching a plein air class here this summer. One of the things Joe has done is get me to re-add Payne's gray to my palette; he uses it so well. 
I liked this scene so much I painted it again when I got home, but contrary to what usually happens, I think the one done on location is "better": it's crisper, drawn better. But the little one's not bad--the subject matter carries it!
5x7

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

These are both gorgeous but I do like the one on location the best :) And adding Payne's gray (WinsorNewton?) makes for some lovely skies!!

Barbara Muir said...

They're both gorgeous. Love the subject matter -- yes. It's iconic of maritime living and summer. Super.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara