Monday, January 07, 2019

petirojo

That's Spanish for "robin" and my nickname for my dear friend Robin.
Before I started painting this I was looking at some of my recent bird paintings and realized that often I go in with the same density of paint all over ...Here I deliberately tried to keep some berries and branches more faint.

And, I took Rhonda's advice and floated a light wash of cobalt over the background of the chickadee painting. It worked well to bring the chickadee out more, and also helped to unify the background. Great suggestion, Rhonda, thank you!

7 comments:

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

The robin is the state bird of Wisconsin, so I a always partial to pictures of them. Happy New Year, Laura!

Debbie Nolan said...

Laura your painting of the robin and the chickadee are so lovely. The background behind the chickadee is wonderful. Hope your new year is off to a great start. Hugs!

RH Carpenter said...

Love the robin!! Did you splatter white gouache around it? Looks great! I can’t take credit for the cobalt push back - you would have done that anyway, I’m sure. Loving your birds so far this year (the time is going by so quickly already isn’t it??)

laura said...

Funny. my friend Robin lives in WI!

laura said...

Thank you, Debbie. And best wishes to you for 2019!

laura said...

Thsnk you, Rhonda. It's actually just whote watercolor, whovh works pretty wellvif the p as inting is dry.
And. for real I would've just put the chickadee painting in a drawer! Its good to be reminded that you can keep going ... ! So thank you!

Barbra Joan said...

You seem to have a knack for bird paintings.. They are all done so well.
I read somewhere that a wash of cobalt blue on parts or even all of a painting unifies it..