Tuesday, December 25, 2018

smilla

There are so many great watercolor and ink paintings of black cats online where the artist lets the flowing of the color define the shapes of the cat--they always amaze me! It looks like magic.
I don't know how they do it, but I thought I'd blunder in.
I identified the parts I had to keep lighter, then started flooding the colors in.
I think it'll take a lot of practice to find the right technique and to have the confidence to get it right on the first go, without having to keep going back and "adjusting"!

3 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

Your tenacity and courage inspire me in my own work. Already I see progress in your cats - the cat's eyes in this painting are beautifully done. I love the change in colors which adds to their three dimensional appearance. The shapes are also very convincing. I'm excited to see where your journey takes you with this subject. If it's anything like the pinecones, it will be wonderful. Thank you for sharing your work. I so appreciate it.

laura said...

Thank you for the encouragement, Mary!
When I feel discouraged I remind myself how scared I was to try painting birds and, while my bird paintings aren't--yet--where I'd like them to be, I'm no longer afraid to try

Barbra Joan said...

Laura, your persistence pays off. I've seen all of your cat paintings and have loved every one of them..

Your lost and found edges and the ability to drop in odd colors (that work beautifully) keep me constantly trying to do better in my work.

Thanks for sharing and a Happy New Year ..