Tuesday, August 20, 2013

more boats, more reflection problems

 

Two boat paintings that have been propped up in my studio for too long ... I would pull one out and pick at it a bit, but last time I did so I noticed that the paint sunk right into the paper; you can see the effect of this especially in the lower right-hand corner of the second painting--the paper loses its sparkle entirely.
So, once again, a learning experience: don't procrastinate; summon the energy to push through to the end, or almost the end even.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Joyfulartist said...

They look good to me, I think your inner critic is too loud and needs to be silenced. I find boats particularly difficult so I take my hat off to you.

Diana said...

Laura they look good to me too, May be a little bit but I'd never know if you didn't say so and they still are stunning. Colors are so vibrant. love,Diana

Katherine Harra said...

I too think they look great. But I think I've experienced what you describe: is it like the sizing is ALL gone in the paper, and it soaks up the color? Is this what you are describing? I had this happen but haven't figured out if it's very old or maybe defective paper. I only use Arches 140, but sometimes I've bought more than I need and it has sat around a while. Does it go bad?

Gwen Buchanan said...

I never realized this would happen. I love your paintings, no matter that.

Barbara Muir said...

These are beautiful.

XOXO Barbara

Celia Blanco said...

This has happened to me, I'm curious about the kind of paper you are using? You're boats and reflections are stunning regardless and honestly can't even notice!

Sharon Whitley said...

agree with what Celia said, the boats and reflections are beautifully painted and wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't have pointed it out, and it doesn't distract at all or take away from beauty of your paintings, love them!