Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mel Stabin workshop: midweek

  (11x15)
One thing Mel emphasizes is  connecting shapes--surprisingly difficult to do; for me, it involves totally changing the way I see things: not easy--turning three shapes into two shapes, two shapes into one shape, with one wash, as  much as possible, and altering the color as you go. Mel also advocates making the most of the midtones; he prefers, I think, a sensitive rendering of the full range of midtones to contrasty light/dark compositions. That's what I was trying for here; and achieved to some degree ... though it's a bit too hard-edged everywhere for me (and probably for Mel).
The lighthouse painting, I think, has a nice combination of hard and soft edges, but the color is too intense throughout ... it would probably benefit from some more subtle neutrals.
(11x15)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Gorgeous, Your work is so very inspiring Laura. I never fail to be impressed and delighted!!!

Catharina Engberg said...

They look great both of them!

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

I admire your ability to paint architecture in a manner that is both convincing and entertaining. Very appealling!

Barbara Muir said...

Love this firts one, and I do love high contrast work too, so the the first is lovely and so is the second which seems a bit high contrast. Love your work!

XO Barbara

Joyfulartist said...

I think you did a great job on some difficult subjects. Lots of angles on that first house. Daunting! I love the 3 red shapes in the lighthouse picture, they just seem to pull it together and bring balance. I think your paintings are beautiful.

Studio at the Farm said...

I really like the painting of the house. I think you were very successful maintaining the subtle mid-tones throughout.

marnold said...

Thanks for the tips, though they may be over my head a bit. The gables & shadows on the house are so cool. Love them both.

carin.c said...

And I happen to love the intensity of the lighthouse... all are very good. I love your flower paintings but your landscape/building paintings are also quite wonderful as are the few I've seen here with people.

Robin@TheNatureCoast said...

good stuff here Laura, your portraits suggest their identities, but don't surrender them; visual intrique!