Monday, June 23, 2008

sunset set

(7.5x11)
First, here's the fourth in my sheet of Cape Henlopen dune paintings, completed yesterday.



Walking on the bay yesterday, I saw a pebble that was a greenish-gray color that I always associate with my friend Sue; I picked it up. Then it seemed, out of all the many thousands of pebbles to choose from, my eye kept alighting on pebbles whose color I associated with Sue: russet, caramel, umber.
Robin and I, when we'd sift through the pebbles at the point, always thought we were choosing each one randomly, individually. (I sat in on a literature class that was reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence and wrote a paper about this process; I can't remember what the assignment was, but it was the most creative paper of my undergraduate years, and I hope Dr. Haba liked it [I can't recall].)
It became clear to us at some point though that choosing one prefigured the next choice: we unconsciously devised sets.
Like the Sue-colored set and the one below, I'll call it Sunset Set.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Annelein said...

Hey Laura,
I finally got around to posting my palette of colors...it's today's post on my blog...better late then never! I linked your blog to the post, hope that's cool...

Gwen Buchanan said...

What a wonderful post laura.. Love the color connections and how they influence!

Ruth said...

This is a great post, I really like where it took me. Oh I remember that book and how much I loved it. What a cool idea about the pebble process. Picking up pebbles is incredibly meditative.

Your watercolor is so lovely. You do a great job with the greens and the sand.