Sunday, May 25, 2008

today's back bays

Two pages done while fishing today--no keepers; a couple of short flounders. The top drawing was done with a new set of watercolor pencils; I lug watercolor pencils everywhere, but never use them, so I'm trying them out. (BTW, I don't like to carry the tin the pencils came in, so I bought a wonderful, inexpensive, unique handmade roll-up pencil holder on Etsy.com! Etsy's a great site, and many of the seller's, like the one I bought the pencil case from, will do custom work for you.)
It was a beautiful day; in one of the less crowded bays, I got some practice handling the boat--the little one, my favorite, Lulu!--and docked her myself today for the first time.


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Nader Shenouda said...

In the second painting to the bottom...the pencil colors appear more..they are strong colors...I like the texture...Oh I am excited we are gonna see some cézanne-like colours applied to landscapes :) Cool :)

Nader Shenouda said...

Oh and btw...I like the vertical piece of wood and what it do to the painting, very nice composition...
I'll check out the etsy online shop..is there any works of art vaailable for sale? or just supplies ?

laura said...

I hadn't noticed it, but you're right: these marshes are Cezanne-colored!
Etsy is a site where people sell all manner of handmade goods: I've bought handknit baby blankets and quilted table runners, hats, bracelets ... Some people do sell their artwork, though I haven't browsed it much.

Laura Frankstone said...

Luminous and beautiful, as always. I'm a big fan.

Mineke Reinders said...

I love these both, Laura, your colors are delicious as always. I agree with Doudy about the pole in the water, it makes the composition more exciting. I also like your use of watercolor pencils. For some - no doubt irrational - reason I've always been reluctant to use them. I like the combination of strong color and texture in yours.

laura said...

I've always kept away from them too, Mineke, not being sure what would be the best use or way to use them ... but since I've been doing a little drawing lately, I thought I'd break them out.
I took a picture this weekend of an old, mostly fallen down dock--all that remains are the pilings, which I'm always drawn too: my version of electric poles? ;-)