Thursday, November 12, 2020

eastern towhee

                              
I've been a little frustrated with my bird paintings recently: they look to me flat, cut-out, uninteresting ... which is no fun.
Tonight on a sketchbook page I painted three little goldfinches: a yellow wash with black added when it dried.
Then, again without drawing first, painted this towhee. And though his eye is a little lower than it should be, I'm actually pleased.
Maybe most of all because I'm hoping I've broken the bad spell.

2 comments:

Candy said...

Laura, you have good reason to be pleased. I love these guys! Beautifully done!

RH Carpenter said...

Nicely done on these - not easy to do birds without drawing a bit first! Maybe you should work your wonderful green foliage techniques into the bird painting so they are set into a scene? Just a suggestion - what do I know? ha ha.