Tuesday, April 07, 2020

tulip magnolias

                               11x15
                                   9x12

My tulip magnolia dies a couple of years ago in a late frost. But I have probably hundreds of photos of its blooms. Each year I'd anticipate them, and try to paint them as much as I could before they were spent, which was all too soon.
I usually don't paint a background when I paint magnolias, but, at least in the one here, I feel like the background enhances it.
I really miss that tree. When this is all over, I think I'll buy another to celebrate.

6 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

These are so elegant and beautiful!!

Rachel Murphree said...

Oh I especially like the one with the background but they are both beautiful! I have also loved your series lately on daffodils;y have really taking advantage of that and have produced beautiful work.

Candy said...

Lovely! Yes, buy another one!

Mary McLaughlin said...

Oh wow, these are just so beautiful! Both paintings made me smile. Lovely work.

Barbara Muir said...

I love these. The Magnolia is one of my favourite flowering trees.
Magnificent. We are not at that delicious stage yet, but it's coming.
We need to replace our cherry, and our apple tree. But there is nowhere
to buy trees now. So we will when we can.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

laura said...

Thank you for the encouragement, everyone!